Saturday, May 25, 2013

911

Emergency 911 phone calls.  Now a part of our news coverage.  Hysterical people in moments of crisis.

News?  Hardly.

Disturbing? Totally.

Educational?  Debatable.  This is only reason I would think that these would be aired.  What to do in a moment of crisis.

I know the operators have stressful jobs, but I am consistently amazed that they don't understand the caller and make them repeat things-that sound clear to me, even when voiced by a hysterical person in a moment of crisis.

"There's a guy with a gun outside the building."

"Is he in the building?"

I'm not making light of this in my usual sarcastic manner.  Still disturbed.  And If I were the caller, would I want this broadcast?  Sure, go ahead and use it as evidence in a trial.   But these are not the famous last words I intended to leave for future generations.

I can only assume that money is changing hands on the nightly news.  Like paparazzi photos.  Unless this is standard operating procedure by law enforcement.  Or jury tainting.

I should research this a bit more.  But until I do, I just might be afraid to make a call that saves someone's life.

Scared to Apathy.....

1 comment:

Hit me with your best shot! Make me laff & your rant will appear in a few days...or else!